The ancient town of Stymphalia was probably founded in the archaic period and it was named after its first inhabitant, Stymphalos. The region belonged to the Arcadians. The town was built on the north shore of Stymphalia lake. A large part of the archaeological site lies under water. Excavations have brought to light a theater and a palaestra that date back to the Classical period. Access to the site is possible only through a path that starts from the Frankish monastery of Zarakas, a few kilometers from the head of the ex-municipality of Stymphalia, Kalianoi village. Anastasios Orlandos carried out the excavations at the archaeological site of Stymphalia from 1924-1930.
Share this post: